Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rip Van Winkle

Well, now I know what Rip Van Winkle must have felt like, at least in a small way. Opening the blog vault today, I am confronted by how much I learned, the online friends I've made, and how much I've forgotten.

Can it really be more than a year since my last post? Time certainly does fly!

Why so long? Lots of reasons. Frustrations with my various brick walls is probably the biggest. I have reached that difficult time period in the 1700's on most of my lines (except for my Lithuanians...I haven't had the nerve to tackle them!). You know the time when public records are scarce, church records, at least for the Methodists, seem rarer, and newspaper obits are few and far between.

Not that I haven't been trying. I took the big step (for me) of hiring some wonderful local researchers in Indiana and Delaware, to try to find parents for my James M. DeHority and Susanna Huffman. I got lots of interesting information about the Dehortys of Delaware, but nothing new on James. Susanna seems to have been born in Tennessee in 1816, according to her obituary, but it looks like this will take a road trip to research further.

And I have looked at other lines online, but there is a lot of unsourced fantasy out there, you know?

But, enough whining! Rolling up my sleeves, I'm ready to wade in again. Maybe that should have been "putting on my boots"? I've spent the last couple of days catching up on favorite blogs and trying to remember how to make a basic post. I've decided to focus on the piles of research and photos that I have, organizing, categorizing, and looking for things I've missed. Reading through all those magazines, clipping and tossing. That will keep me busy for awhile.

Why now? I guess today has gotten me a bit nostalgic.



Charles Mauzy DeHority (1916-2003)
and
Irene Geraldine Douglas (1922-1999)
April 19, 1948



Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!

signature

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo of your parents! Welcome back & happy organizing, finding, seeking and blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind welcome! See you in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete